IT'S ALL ABOUT THE KIDS
Prakash Deep reaches out to underprivileged children in Faridabad who are left on the streets to fend for themselves while their parents go to work.
We work to trigger an epidemic of love for these helpless and uncared for children. We want to lift them out of the morass they landed in by educating them to a level where they can enter the mainstream and become a resource for the country and the world at large.
Approximately 500 students attend the school each day and receive free education, a mid-day meal and basic medical care. The school is located in two public parks where children sit under different clusters of trees.
Our greatest hope is to dispel the darkness of illiteracy and poverty and to spread the light of knowledge and education. Our kids are little lights that will go on to light more lights as they continue to grow and glow.
Some Hard Facts
- 40% of India's population is below the age of 18 years (at 400 million) and is the world's largest child population.
- At 17 million, India is home to the world's largest population of child laborers (this is the official figure; activists claim the actual number is closer to four fold).
- 100 million child laborers in India work in hazardous or exploitative conditions.
- They work with explosives, metals and poisonous gases from the age of 3 - 4 years.
- Less than half of India's children between the age 6 and 14 go to school.
- There are 18 million homeless children, living on the streets.
- One in every ten children is disabled in India.
- Only 38% of India's children below the age of 2 years are immunized.
- Almost one in every five children in India below the age of 14 suffers from diarrhea - an easily preventable disease.